or wedding gift
for the relationship ;)
Given my 10 years of experience in corporate finance, five years in personal finance and an MBA, you would expect my wife and me to have a perfect money management system. However, during two years of marriage, there was a lot of miscommunication in discussing our money issues. For me, Home Finances for Couples offers a hope that, although we made some mistakes, it’s not too late in our relationship.
Starting from the premise that the reason for most disagreements in families and divorces is money, Ostapiv guides the readers through a financial management system that works. He covers issues like how to structure the family budget, how to account assets and liabilities, tips on budgeting and saving money, and what mistakes to avoid. By following those steps, any family can achieve financial success. The book finishes with a few interviews of couples about how they manage their budget, which is a great addition to the book.
Leo Ostapiv’s book Home Finances for Couples is written as a guide, is easy to follow and to apply to your own personal circumstances. The chapters are well organized and terminology is explained clearly. The theory is illustrated with charts that everyone can take and adapt to their own needs.
Even though the author lives in Ukraine, the book is written for an international audience. I particularly enjoyed the case studies at the end where it becomes clear that a shared financial goal helps couples efficiently manage their budget without affecting their relationship. As for the concept of financial success, this is relative, depending on what everyone’s goal is and what they expect to afford financially.
Taking into account the economic crises we all witnessed and the slow recovery process in some countries, Ostapiv’s book should be in every family’s library to consult every time one needs to.
- Give the financial health of your relationship a checkup
- Understand the fundamental values of marriage finances
- Learn how to discuss money problems with your spouse (or partner in relationship)
- Learn family budgeting and create (or improve) household budget
- Choose and apply one of the three major techniques for managing a monthly budget
- Save money by cutting unnecessary expenses
- Make the management of your family’s money time efficient
- Set (or update) shared financial goals
- Learn budgeting tips and saving from real couples who are managing their money well
- Get inspired to achieve financial success for your family (that’s the hardest one to promise)!
- A philosophy of money and love
- How to earn a lot of money and become rich
- How to prepare for your retirement
- How to repair your broken marriage or relationship